When we open our heart chakra fully to Divine love, other people notice the glow that naturally emanates from deep within us. ~ Doreen Virtue
Balancing, clearing and opening your chakras is an excellent way to find balance within your body and mind, feel more grounded, be able to communicate more effectively, able to give and accept love with ease, and so much more.
The Sanskrit word Chakra literally translates to wheel or disk. This term refers to wheels of energy throughout the body. Though there are many chakras in the human body, there are seven main ones located along the central core axis. Who knew that these magical wheels could help us find love?
The seven main chakras begin at the base of the spine and finish at the top of the head. Though fixed in the central spinal column they are located on both the front and back of the body. They are charged and recharged through contact with the stream of cosmic energy. This invisible energy, called Prana, is vital life force, which keeps us vibrant, healthy, and alive. Each chakra is located throughout our body so that it correlates to specific body ailment and physical dysfunctions; each energy center also houses our mental and emotional strengths.
If the chakras are not balanced, or if the energies are blocked, the basic life force will be slowed down causing you to feel exhausted, out of sorts, or depressed. Not only will physical bodily functions be affected so diseases may manifest, but the thought processes and the mind may also be affected. A constant balance between the chakras promotes health and a sense of well-being, and will give you the energy and glow to find and maintain a romantic relationship.
First Chakra: (Color: Red) Located at the perineum, base of your spine, the Muladhara (the base chakra) is the chakra of stability, security, earthly grounding and physical survival. This chakra is associated with your legs, feet, bones, large intestine and adrenal glands. When this chakra is open, we feel safe and fearless. A blockage may manifest as paranoia, procrastination, defensiveness, fear, and physically can manifest extra weight, lower back pain, chronic fatigue, low energy, constipation, diarrhea, arthritis and trouble sleeping.
To open and balance the Base chakra:
- Connect to the earth by walking on grass or dirt barefoot.
- Ground yourself to the earth by doing yoga.
- Dance! Turn on your favorite zippy tune and move it! Swivel your hips. Belly dancing is an awesome way to open up the root chakra.
- Wear the color red.
- Since this chakra is all about grounding you to the earth, root vegetables are a good choice. Beets, garlic, turnips, ginger, potatoes, and parsnips are just a few options for root veggies. Red fruits are also grounding, such as apples or pomegranates.
Second Chakra: (Color: Orange) Located between the base of your spine and your navel, the Svadhisthana (the sacral chakra) is the chakra of creativity and is the sexual center. It is associated with your lower abdomen, kidneys, bladder, circulatory system, and your reproductive organs and glands. It is concerned with emotion. This chakra represents desire, pleasure, sexuality, procreation and creativity.
Blockage may manifest as emotional or sexual problems, compulsive or obsessive behavior, lack of sexual desire or sexual frigidity, pessimism and depression, and lack of creativity. Physically, a closed second chakra can manifest as sciatic pain, terrible PMS, miserable perimenopausal symptoms, chronic fatigue or loss of joyful energy.
To open and balance the Sacral chakra:
- Visualize orange. Imagine a bright, healing orange glow filling up your entire lower abdomen.
- Spend time near open water
- Express your creativity through writing, journaling, music, dancing, art, or some other craft or interest.
- Listen to the musical note D.
- The second chakra’s element is water, so pure water is the best thing you can ingest to clear and heal this chakra. Be sure to keep hydrated if your second chakra is imbalanced. The color of this chakra is orange, so orange foods, especially carrots, oranges, papaya, and passion fruit can be healing. Juicy fruits such as melon, mango and strawberries can also give your sacral chakra a boost.
Third Chakra: (Color: Yellow) Located a few inches above the navel in the solar plexus area, the Manipura (the solar plexus chakra) chakra means lustrous gem. The third chakra is our source of personal power, associated with your digestive system, pancreas and adrenals. Feelings of personal power, laughter, joy and anger are associated with this chakra. A blockage might manifest as anger, frustration, lack of direction or playing the victim.
To open and balance the Solar Plexus chakra:
- Participate in a vigorous sport or activity.
- Spend time outdoors and bask in the yellow energy of the sun
- Wear a gold bracelet or necklace, or carry yellow gemstones like Amber, tiger’s eye or Topaz.
- Use aromatherapy extract oils like rosemary, grapefruit, and orange.
- The color associated the third chakra with is yellow, which means that bananas, sunflower seeds, yellow peppers, corn and yellow lentils are good solar plexus chakra healing foods. Spices for the solar plexus chakra are ginger, chamomile, mint, and cumin.
Fourth Chakra: (Color: Green) It is said that the heart chakra is the most important chakra, as it integrtes the higher chakras with the lower chakras and allows you to feel and express the most important force in the world… love!
To attract love into your life, clear and balance the heart chakra.
Feeling loved and loving others is so important to maintaining a balanced, happy mental, spiritual and physical life. A life without love is an empty existence. That includes self-love just as much as loving another.
Located at the heart center, the fourth chakra, anahata (the heart chakra) is at the middle of the seven and unites the lower chakras of matter and the upper chakras of spirit. The heart chakra serves as a bridge between our body, mind, emotions, and spirit. The heart chakra is our source of love and connection. It is the center of love, compassion, harmony and peace. The energy of the heart chakra depicted as a deep, emerald green color ties us to all living things around us. Green is associated with new life. It is soothing yet vibrant. The energy produced by the heart chakra allows us to have intimate, meaningful relationships, allows us to feel empathy, compassion, and forgiveness.
This chakra is associated with your lungs, heart, arms, hands and thymus gland. We fall in love through our heart Chakra. A blockage can manifest as immune system, lung and heart problems, or lack of compassion or self-love. You may become critical, suspicious or defensive of those around you.
To open and balance the Heart Chakra:
- Being a martyr is a sign of imbalance for this chakra. Allow yourself to be loved, and that includes most especially, by yourself.
- Try adding kale or spinach to your morning smoothie, or include a small salad with every meal.
- Forgive, Forgive, Forgive. Do forgiveness work and meditations to release any resentment or grudges.
- The heart chakra is associated with the vibrational sound of “YAM.” Chant this when you feel yourself closing your heart.
- Wear rose quartz. Rose quartz is used to raise self-esteem and a strong sense of self-worth. Often called the “Love Stone,” its energetic hallmark is that of unconditional love that opens the heart chakra. Rose quartz has high vibrational energy and can enhance love in virtually any situation.
Fifth Chakra: (Color: Blue) The Vishuddha (the throat chakra) is the fifth chakra, located in the area of the throat. This is our source of verbal expression and the ability to speak our highest truth, communication, creativity, self-expression and judgment, as well as the senses of inner and outer hearing, the coming together of ideas, healing, purification and transformation. The fifth chakra includes the neck, shoulders, thyroid, and parathyroid glands, jaw, mouth, and tongue. Blockage can show up as creative blocks, dishonesty or general problems in communicating ones needs to others.
To open and balance the Throat Chakra:
- Singing or chanting is a great way to balance and open the throat chakra
- Blue gems are associated with this chakra. Wearing a magical pair of blue earrings or necklace is an easy way to begin to balance your throat chakra.
- Imagine a beautiful blue light at the base of your throat. Inhale as you visualize the healing blue color. Exhale tension and stress.
- Eat fruit. Especially ones that grow on trees: apples, apricots, peaches, pears and plums. Blueberries are great for this chakra as well. Also, lemons and limes are excellent for clearing out stuck energy in this chakra. Add some fresh lemon juice to your drinking water.
- Use essential oils. Basil, bergamot, spearmint or peppermint are fantastic!
Sixth Chakra: (Color: Indigo) The Ajna (the third eye chakra)is located in between the eyebrows. It is also referred to as the “third eye” chakra. Ajnais our center of intuition. Focusing on opening the sixth chakra will help you hone the ability of being more intuitive. Extraordinary intellect, wisdom, intuition, and spiritual insight are available to humans but few of us even begin to tap our incredible potential.
Clearing and balancing your sixth chakra can help you tap into these vast capacities. A blockage may manifest as problems like lack of foresight, mental rigidity and depression. People with an underdeveloped sixth Chakra may be fearful of change, or of being in the limelight. They may suffer from aimlessness, foggy thinking, or lack of concentration. They may be prone to “follow the crowd” even when it is contrary to what they want or believe.
To open and balance the Third Eye Chakra:
- Keep a dream journal.
- Wear deep blue gemstones such as, sodalite, sugalite, azurite, lapis lazuli and purple fluorite.
- Dark blue fruits such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and purple grapes are awesome fruits for balancing the third eye chakra, as well as drinks like red wine and grape juice.
- Enjoy dark chocolate
- Accepting situations as they come and as they are is a great way to open and strengthening the Sixth Chakra.
Seventh Chakra: (Color: Violet)The Sahaswara (the crown chakra) or the “thousand petal lotus” chakra is located at the crown of the head. This is the chakra of enlightenment and spiritual connection to our higher selves, others, and to the Divine. It is the seat of the One Mind or Infinite Intelligence. It is the point of entry into the body and also the point of departure when we leave the body behind.
To open and balance the Seventh Chakra:
- To open your crown chakra, consistent meditation is the key. Prayer is also a wonderful way to slowly open this center up to Universal love and guidance.
- As you meditate or pray, imagine seeing Divine energy pouring into your crown chakra as a violet-white orb quickly spinning at the top of your head.
- Be of service. Reaching out to help others strengthens your connection to your environment and the Divine.
- Burn high frequency oils such as ylangylang, jasmine, frankincense, sandalwood, rose, rosewood, neroli, patchouli, myrrh, and vetiver in an aroma lamp during meditation.
- Sit with an object from nature to which you feel an affinity, such as a tree, rock, seashell, pinecone, feathers, and try to feel your connection to it. See what messages you get.
Learning about the chakra system is exciting because it allows us to totally connect to ourselves not only physically but energetically. Self-love and acceptance are our birthright and and understanding and nourishing the chakras is a great place to start! For more self-love goodness and learning how to attract anything you want in life including a soul mate, check out my ebook, Worthy Of Love!